Holidays are approaching, but you still don’t know where to go this summer? I have got you covered with the Périgord Guide so you can discover the essential places to enjoy the summer in South West of France – a region where life is good!
The Périgord Guide is divided into four main categories, where you will find:
- Essential touristic sites
- Outdoor activities for the whole family
- Exceptional accommodations
- And local gastronomy (of course!)
For an unforgettable family vacation!
ESSENTIAL TOURISTIC SITES IN PERIGORD
Visiting Périgord means discovering a rich and diverse region, with exceptional sites mixing history, nature and authenticity.
- Les Cabanes du Breuil – St André d’Allas
- The Gardens of Marqueyssac – Vézac
- The Water Gardens – Carsac
- Eyrignac & its gardens – Eyrignac
- The Panoramic Gardens of Limeuil – Limeuil
- Château de Beynac – Beynac
- Château de Castelnaud – Castlenaud La Chapelle
- Chateau des Milandes – Castlenaud La Chapelle
- Chateau de Puymartin – St André D’allas
- Chateau de Commarque – Les Eyzies de Tayac
- Château de Losse – Thonac
- Château de SauveBoeuf – Aubas
- Château de Hautefort – Hautefort
- Château de Biron – Biron
Prehistoric Sites and Caves
- Lascaux Caves – Montignac
- Cave shelter of La Madeleine – Tursac
- La Roque St Christophe – Le Moustier
- Fond de Gaume Cave – Les Eyzies de Tayac
- Chasm of Proumeyssac – Audrix
- Cadouin Cloister – Cadouin
- Saint-Front Cathedral – Périgueux
- Brantôme Abbey – Brantôme
- Saint-Sacerdos Cathedral – Sarlat
- Dhagpo Kagyu Ling Tibetan Buddhist Center – St Léon sur Vézère
FAMILY FRIENDLY OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES
What could be better than enjoying the great outdoors and nature during your visit in Périgord! So here is my selection of essential activities that will please young and old alike!
- Air Châteaux – located on the heights of Domme, enjoy an unforgettable experience with a ULM flight or helicopter over the Dordogne Valley.
- Canoe Périgord Aventure et Loisirs – located in Vitrac, rent your canoe for a descent on the Dordogne river to discover the Valley of the Castles! Enjoy a privileged view of Domme, continuing through the charming village of La Roque Gageac to then discover the Château de Castelnaud and Château des Milandes and finish at the foot of Château de Beynac!
- Les Anes’rient de Lascaux – located at the entrance of Montignac, discover the donkeys of Périgord and go for a walk in the great outdoors in the neighboring towns. Panoramic vantage point and discovery of typical Périgord villages will be waiting for you!
- La Forêt des Ecureuils – located a few minutes away from Sarlat, this large tree climbing park has more than 50 ziplines to enjoy a fun day with friends or family. Also, paintball activities and a Via Ferrata courses are offered on site.
- Eco Rando 24 – located in Castelnaud La Chapelle, set off to explore all-terrain hikes in two or four-wheel electric vehicles in order to explore the natural heritage of the region and the sites of interest around Castlenaud, La Roque Gageac, Cénac, Domme and Vitrac.
- Liberty Cycle – located in Sarlat, you can rent your bike and go for a ride on the “Voie Verte” which runs along the Dordogne river. Enjoy bucolic forests, green plains and typical small villages on the road.
- Les Gabarres Norbert – located on the bank of La Roque Gageac, take the time to contemplate this beautiful cultural heritage by letting yourself be carried by the river to the mythical Château de Castelnaud.
- The Equestrian Center – Les Cavaliers de la Vézère – located in Sergeac, the equestrian center organizes horse or pony outings, from one hour to a day, around Sergeac and St-Léon-sur-Vézère. Enjoy the large green spaces, with the possibility of horse swimming in the Vézère river.
During your visit to Périgord, you can stay in unusual places, full of charm and history! Find my selection of exceptional accommodation in the region:
- Hotel La Couleuvrine – is a 3-star hotel located in the heart of the medieval city of Sarlat. Installed in a 15th century tower of ramparts, come and stay in a unique place steeped in history!
- Hotel La Roseraie – is a 3-star hotel which enjoys a privileged location in the heart of Montignac Lascaux. This charming residence offers a beautiful terrace in a large shaded park with its rose garden, where you can enjoy avant-garde cuisine made with local products.
- Hôtel & Spa Les Glycines – is a 4-star hotel located in the cradle of Prehistory, surrounded by huge cliffs overlooking Les Eyzies de Tayac. In addition to the idyllic setting of the gardens, this establishment offers many services including its wellness center but also a gourmet restaurant to satisfy all your desires!
- Hôtel de Bouilhac – is a 4-star hotel located in the heart of Montignac, close by the famous Lascaux caves. This elegant residence, tastefully renovated, offers a refined decor where each room is unique. Also, the owner and Chef of the restaurant will be happy to introduce you to the flavors of the region.
- Domaine de Monrecour – is a 3-star hotel located a few minutes from Sarlat in the direction of Bergerac. This fabulous chateau is surrounded by a 12 hectare park, which will make you fall in love with it. For lovers of local gastronomy, “La table de Monrecour” should not be missed!
- Hotel Edward 1er – is a 4-star hotel located on the ramparts of Monpazier’s bastide town. Offering an incredible view of the surrounding countryside, this charming historic house will take you back in time!
- Le Château de Belcayre – come and experience unique moments and enjoy life as a lord over a long weekend. This magnificent castle, located in St Léon sur Vézère, can accommodate up to 15 people. Its terrace overlooking the rock gives it all its charm!
- Domaine du Château des Vigiers – located in Monestier, the domain consists of 150 hectares including a vineyard, a sumptuous 4-star hotel and one of the most beautiful golf courses in Aquitaine with 27 holes.
“Relais & Châteaux”
- Le Moulin de l’Abbaye – is a charming 4-star hotel, located in the picturesque village of Brantôme – also called “la petite Venise du Périgord”. This charming residence offers a breathtaking panoramic view and also invites you to take a trip through the local gastronomy in its restaurant rated 1 Michelin Star.
- Le Vieux Logis – is a 4-star hotel located in Trémolat. Luxury, calm and change of scenery will be waiting for you! You will appreciate the authentic decoration imagined with taste, but above all the beauty of the flower gardens making the setting so exceptional. Also, its gourmet restaurant classified 1 Michelin Star will make you discover the refined dishes of traditional Périgord cuisine.
Discovering Périgord also means enjoying local and traditional gastronomy, which is honored in many establishments. Therefore, to understand all the stages of making your favorite dishes, I invite you to discover some essential places in Périgord:
- Breeding Périgord’s Geese – Tursac
- Truffles Ecomuseum – Sorges
- Cep Mushroom Market – Monpazier
- Walnut’s Ecomuseum – Castelnaud la Chapelle
- BOVETTI Chocolate Museum – Terrasson
- Wine tourism at Château Feely – Saussignac
- Wine tourism at Domaine de Haut Pécharmant – Bergerac
Find more inspiration discovered in Périgord on my Instagram page! Have a nice holiday in Périgord!
The list of establishments named in this guide is intended to be non-exhaustive and only engages the personal opinion of the author. If you wish to add your establishment into it, please contact me here.